The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, commonly known as HIPAA, was created to protect the privacy of Health Information. It informs individuals on how their health information is being used. In line with this, HIPAA has very specific rules in place about when, how, and what kind of information can be shared. While becoming a HIPAA compliant can be both expensive and time-consuming, the HIPAA Security Rule represents good business security practices that any business, whether in healthcare or not, should adopt.
HIPAA impacts on the providing side and the receiving end of Healthcare. It has a direct effect on insurance providers, clinics, and medical practitioners. But when it comes to protecting the health information, IT Solution Providers and the Healthcare Provider are mainly impacted as they require access to Protected Health Information (PHI and ePHI) to perform their work. IT Solution Providers that are working with Healthcare clients may be required to enter into a written agreement called Business Associate Contract. The agreement exists to bind IT Solution Providers to the same requirements as those of the Healthcare Providers. So if you are providing IT Services to any clients in the healthcare industry, you should be prepared to deal with this particular arrangement.
Here at MotivIT, we make sure that our partners are not just provided the best-in-class services but moreover, a HIPAA Compliant.
- IT Glue is a documentation platform that can help secure passwords and documentations as part of HIPAA Compliance.
- MSP360 is a cloud service provider that works with IT companies and serves healthcare organizations that are also included in the covered entities, which means they are expected to comply fully with HIPAA laws.
- Webroot is a software security tool that protects the machines of health workers from being compromised.
- Microsoft Teams is a unified communication tool that complies with Security Rule requirements that configure to log users out of the system after a period of inactivity to protect ePHI.
- Microsoft 365 is designed to help you achieve more with innovative applications, intelligent cloud services, and world-class security. With a signed BAA and proper usage, Microsoft 365 can be used to transmit, store, or maintain PHI.
- Kaseya is a cloud-based, IT management, remote monitoring, and network security that provides tools and functionalities to Managed Service Providers (MSP) and IT enterprises. Kaseya stays in compliance with regular, automated network scans to detect any ongoing issues, identify potential threats, and provide alert notifications.
- Bitdefender notes in its Guide to HIPAA Compliance for Virtualization and Cloud Security, solutions are available to help organizations comply with the requirements of HIPAA and enhance their overall security and risk management programs.
- SentinelOne is an endpoint security software that defends every endpoint against every type of attack, at every stage in the threat lifecycle. SentinelOne’s Platform meets the intents of prevention, detection, remediation, and reporting requirements covered by the HIPAA Security Rule and HITECH when properly configured.
MotivIT, as a Managed Service Provider, complies with HIPAA by making sure that all the information that we access on our client’s computer files are protected. We make sure that the passwords of our clients are sent to them securely. We make sure that we log off the machines once we are done working on the tasks and send an update to the client on what we did. We make sure that we securely document everything in IT Glue. We make sure that everything we do, we do it with security and confidentially, all with our client’s approval.